Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmastime is here

"Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to
Tiny Tim, who did NOT die, he was a second father. He became a as good a friend,
as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other
good old city, town or borough, in the good old world . . . and it was always
said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive posessed
the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim
observed, God Bless Us, Every One!"

I think I'm going to try to read this book every year at Christmastime, and maybe even in the summertime. Mr. Dickens, thank you for the blessing that this book has been!

There was one problem though. I, like many of my friends, have seen many different cinematic renditions of this Christmas classic before actually reading A Christmas Carol. That being the case, all I could hear in my head as I read was Gonzo reading along with me. The Muppet Christmas Carol was a very formative part of my childhood (don't laugh), and to it's credit, much of the movie is taken line for line from the book! Hurrah!

So before I go off to dream of sugarplums dancing, or whatever it is they're supposed to be doing, I would like to thank Amy Cannon for coming up with the most amazing adjective ever: Neato Spameato! And to echo Tiny Tim (sniff) God Bless Us Every One!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

neato speameto is definently a cool adjective. or maybe NOT cool, and so - inadvertantly - cool in a sort of quirky and nonconformist way. like spiffy. regardless of adjectival hipness, a muppet christmas carol is right up there with muppet treasure island in my top ten movies that i will watch the rest of my life, along with princess bride, monty python and the holy grail, casablanca, clue, and all the rest. i must, however, quibble with your quote. i like this one better:
"Old Marley was dead as a door-nail. Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my won knoweldge, what is particularly dead about a door-nail. i might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade..."
and the part where Bob Cratchit considers knocking Scrooge down with a ruler, and calling for a "straight-waistcoat" after his miraculous transformation. *sigh* hurrah for Dickens, and hurrah for Christmas!