Monday, February 13, 2006

Cheer up, kiddo

No matter how hard I try to get it done early, it is unavoidable that I will be doing my laundry at 2 in the morning. Methinks I must have offended the laundry goddess by wearing my jeans for longer than a week, but tonight she was extra surly, causing one of my dryer loads to be dripping wet at the end of the cycle. So, as long as I have another hour to kill . . .

Going to concerts has always been one of my favorite things to do, but due to my strange propensity for weird music I always am at the shows that not many people show up at. Every now and again I'll find someone else who wants to go see a Ska show or Bela Fleck and the Flectones, but those people are very few and far between. That is why going to the Mae concert was very interesting for me. Especially coming from a rudie background (that's what you call a kid who listens to ska FYI) I'm used to the strange and comforting cameraderie shared by most people at concerts. You're here to dance and have good time, and so am I, so lets get to it! But tonight was interesting; I've never been in a gym full of people more determined not to have a good time. For the first two bands there was barely a foot tapping, head nodding, or even a sign that these people were even listening to music. Just blank stares, and every once in a while a disgusted look at another concert-goer. I guess it's to be expected in a scene where your greatest aim is to care less than the person next to each other; put a thousand or so of them into a gym and the result is one very depressing sight.

Cheer up kids! Maybe if you look up every once in a while, you'll see that everyone else has to deal with the same crap that you have to.

3 comments:

amy katherine said...

okay, so, i was at the same show, and although the over-abundance of emo kids was manifestly evident, there may be extenuating circumstances for stillness. i was actually thinking about the same thing in respect to myself at the concert: i grow very quiet and pensive in the face of music. its not because i couldn't dance as wildly as anyone, i just become self-forgetful in a different way. so don't judge us non-dancing loosers to harsly - we may just be trying to listen better.

amy katherine said...

p.s. the laundry goddess may be appeased by libations, preferably of tide, though downey will do in a pinch: if neither are avaliable, she will demand a sock sacrifice.

Joshua said...

You love ska.
Ska loves you.
That's about all that ska can do...

It is written in the heavens! Apollo has gifted Amy Kathrine with the gift of reading the flight of birds, the omens of Zeus! They that launder lazily, launder late! The Fates have decreed the doom of your socks! The Muse shall sing of the sodden shirts, the shy socks, and if you do not turn from your evil ways *gasp!* the shrunken sweater!

Repent! Repent and wring your hands, rend your heart and win the way of the washing goddess with woeful and well-planned praise and prayer!