Saturday, February 25, 2006

An Oddly Introspective Morning

First, let me say that I am in no way talented in the art of writing poetry; I am about as wieldy with the english language as a garbage man with an English broadsword (translation: I no speak so good), but this morning necessitated a brush with the more creative side of writing. Thanks to the new system my Torrey mentor has instituted, I am forced to stay on schedule and hand in my pull questions every two weeks. I woke up with one to finish, and I figured I would bang it out in half an hour and head off to lunch. Then I looked at the question: "Following the pattern of Psalm 78, write a recollection of your own life to be passed on to the next generation". For those of you not familiar with this particular Psalm (there is no reason why you should be, although it is an interesting Psalm), it is for the most part a recollection of the unfaithfulness of Israel despite the demonstrated faithfuness and provision of the Lord. So there I sat, still shaking of the last vestiges of sleep, trying to take stock of my life so far. And not only my life, such as it is, but specifically my own weakness and unfaithfulness towards God.

Interestingly enough, it may have been just the thing I needed that morning. There is nothing like a reminder of your own shortcomings and bull-headedness to remind you of the grace and mercy of our most sovereign Lord. So, instead of writing another formulaic pull question, I decided to try my hand at Psalmistry (I really hope that is a word, or I shall be extremely embarassed). Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the fruit of my pathetic efforts:

"Give heed, friends, to my words
And I will speak of the steadfast love
Of the Father, and of the wayward actions
of a son; so that you may
Praise the Lord, your rock and salvation
with greater strength and understanding

He provided for his every need, from the
Beginning, and blessed him with life, family
And love.
But this son, proud even in his youth,
acknowledged his heavenly Father
in name only.
Instead of looking and seeing the hand of God
He saw only his own strength, frail and
feeble as it was, and did not give
Honor to the Lord for his steadfast love
and provision

And so the Lord’s anger was kindled against
His son, and He stretched out his hand
Striking his family with sickness and pain.
O how terrible the wrath of a
Jealous God! How perfect His judgement!
Still, even brought low by his pride, this son
Refused to let go, loving his freedom and
Trusting only in his own strength, rather than
The strength of He who parted the Red Sea,
He who struck down the armies of Pharaoh and
caused the mighty Nile to run red

Yet You, O Lord, in your unending and steadfast Love
Did not forsake your son and leave him
to wander in the wilderness for forever.
Just as You brought your chosen ones, the children
of Israel, into the promised land, You brought him back
To your side and directed each of his footsteps
in the way he should go.
Even when he walked in darkness, your hand was
There to guide and protect him
from those who wished him harm,
As a shepherd watches over even the least of his flock

You heard him, O Lord, when in the depths of his despair
he cried out to You, weeping in knowledge
Of his folly and his pride
and seeing the steadfast Love of the Lord, and
His guiding hand, even as he trudged
through the muck and mire of his iniquity
Who can know the extent of your wisdom, O Lord,
God of hosts,
Who can fathom your power? You who make
the mountains tremble with your voice,
You who make the seas boil and rage in your wrath?
Who can know the width and breadth of your Love?
Love enough to set aside your perfect judgement, and
Have mercy on those who cry out to you?
O friends, know that this is the Lord your God
And know that He is merciful
And just."
--Me


This dratted thing won't format it like I originally wanted, but regardless, I tried to be as honest with myself as I could. Perhaps we could all use a morning every once in a while to look back and see not only our own insufficiency, but the hand of the Father as well.

5 comments:

amy katherine said...

amen and amen. thanks for sharing, phil. that pq was a cause for soul searching on my part as well: what in my life thus far is worth remembering? where has God's hand been made visible? what has he taught me? i hope the clarity with which we see our lives (and the poetry with which we write about it!) continues to grow and improve throughout our years in torrey, and the many more pull questions to come...

Anonymous said...

i love the way that you wrote your pull question in the format of a psalm. :) it made me start to think about the original author of the psalm and what was going on in his heart and soul as he wrote it. in fact, i think most of psalms are very introspective...the anxieties and anguish of their lives poured out on paper. it definately sheds a more personal light on many of the events in the old testament. it seems that if we could all look at our lives in the same light as the psalms were written in, we would be able to discover so much more about our lives in realation to the almighty God.

Joshua said...

Well done Phil.

The depth of thought, the truth of the matter in all respects, well done.

And inspiring thing.
Well, done.

Anonymous said...

POST AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

lots of luv,

-Josh

A.E.B. said...

Beautiful, beautiful, Phil. You should write more. Become a psalmist.